Thursday 13 June 2013

... Mathematics ...

Introduction
This is the first assignment that was given by Miss Ann one week before our mathematics test 1. With my group members, Tan Yong Ming, Koay Wei Jia and Wong Kim Wan, four of us are given a structure and have to calculate out the Total Surface Area and the Volume of the structure. After that , we have to use our own materials to build up the structure with the same scale ratio. I am going to show the three mathematical theories that we have used in this assignment.

First Theory
Volume of Pyramid
1/3 x base area x height
I used this theory to find the volume of the whole pyramid first, then I find the volume of the smaller pyramid by using ratio method.



Second Theory
Pythagorus Theorem
a^2 + b^2 = c^2\!\,

 c = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}. \,
I used this theory to find the height of the triangle first, so as to find to surface area of the triangle.



Third Theory
6 Basic Trigonometric Functions
\sin A = \frac {\textrm{opposite}} {\textrm{hypotenuse}} = \frac {a} {h}.

\cos A = \frac {\textrm{adjacent}} {\textrm{hypotenuse}} = \frac {b} {h}.

\tan A = \frac {\textrm{opposite}} {\textrm{adjacent}} = \frac {a} {b}.
I used this theory to find the angle of the triangle, so as to calculate the total area, sector area and the segment area of it.


Reflection
I like the two big challenges of this assignment which are the calculation part and the constructing part. It is actually very tough for my group, we faced many problems while calculating it. Fortunately, with the help of Miss Ann, finally we success to complete this difficult task. Besides, this assignment also help me to memories some of the theories to sit in my test in the following week.






No comments:

Post a Comment